View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Greybush
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by HawkD View Post
I am an RTP guy as well, and this is truly a long and challenging process. I would say break things down into phases and think of each individually. Treat this "process" as another deployment. Make sure your family, finances and any other personal matters are taken care of so you can focus on training. I showed up at Pensacola with 80 hours of cross-country time and it took four months to complete the program. (I also did ATP/CTP during this time) The weather was the major factor that slowed my training. Prepare yourself for FO school, it will be your next challenge and its no joke! I don't think it is talked about much, but there is a level of difficulty that you must prepare for. In military flight school, you spend much more time learning the material, not so much at FO school. There are some talented instructors in training and that makes up for it, but be prepared. As far as bases, well everyone wants CLT, even some of the older (senior) individuals in my class could not get CLT yet. I think some have bid twice now for it. Again everyone's situation is different, I chose to go with a more Junior base and move to base on the military's dime. I chose this because my wife and kids have an adventurous spirit, we see something new and spend less time enduring the suck and I can use the services on the military base. We figure three years there and we will move again if it all works out right. Either way, think things through break things up in parts and best of luck to you.
Thanks for the advice. I've toyed with Norfolk, but I spent all my effort while active duty in the Navy avoiding that town haha. Still beats Dayton winters though.