View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 11:15 AM
flyingnerd
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default Back to the basics instrument training

Hey all. Trying to do a students instrument training in an older aircraft. It has a GPS but it isn't current and it is not feasible for him to update it, so GPS approaches aren't available. It does not have DME equipment either. The airplane has dual nav, so we can use triangulation to determine intersections on approaches, em route, etc.

My questions begin here. For his checkride, when he does partial panel, I am almost positive the examiner will cover up one of the obs instruments. At this point what would he have to do to continue? I am stuck between switching nav frequencies and courses over and over (which I would consider as a dangerous practice) or the other, much more conservative option of advising atc and either asking for them to advise of crossing the intersection, fix, etc. Even with these, the only approaches he will be able to do are ILS, LOC, and VOR (which the checkride airport conveniently has all 3). He will also be able to do holds at intersections but obviously not DME holds. He will not be able to do DME arcs either.

If anyone has any experience with this situation, knowledge to input, etx. please let me know. Thanks in advance!