View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:21 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by DarwinsPlato
Right now it seems as though aside from miscellaneous costs like books, gear, and living expenses, for which I also receive a small stipend, all other costs associated with the degree including my actual flight training will be waived. Who would have thought that there would be such a benefit to growing up in foster care. Anyways, im still looking for information and opinions on the school itself. Based on the progression the program presents, is future employment likely? Im not too familiar with the qualifications, but it looks like at the conclusion of the program, I will have my CFII. The last flight course listed is M.E. Flight. Is that the next rating to get after CFII? What about after that, will I need to complete more ratings? While my passion to fly is intense, my knowledge is lackluster, so feel free to dumb it down. On another note, I have been fooling around with MS Flight Sim 2004 and it seems to be chock full of information. I find that in moving through the flying lessons I am learning a ton about flying. While I know that it is only a simulation, is it worth my time.

thanks again
You truly have a golden opportunity. Some folks have to work until they are in their thirties before they can afford flight training.

If you get a CFI and CFII that will make you employable as an instructor. In addition to the ME rating, You will probably also want/need a MEI so that you can teach to acquire the necessary 100+ hours of multi-engine time...otherwise you may have to buy it ($$$). If you get the ME and MEI early on, then you can take advantage of any opportunities to fly a twin that might come along...you will need every hour you can get.

The only other relevant rating is the ATP, but you will likely get hired at a regional airline before you have the time requirements, in which case you will get your ATP automatically when you upgrade to captain.

MS flight sim is not too bad of an entry-level exposure...it will introduce you to some basics. Actually I use it to practice IFR procedures for checkrides, just to hone the scan.