View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 04:38 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by ROTORGUY View Post
So your concerned that a dual commercial rated pilot is flying right seat in a cessna 172 with a friend giving him pointers and helping him build confidence? Really? This student owns a Cirrus, which I fly for him, and his family regularly. He’s a young business owner that admits he will probably never do long flights without me or another instrument rated pilot with him assuming he ever finishes his license. He has been soloed by a CFI in the 172 for over a year. (At this point he probably has close to 80hrs) He’s just never taken his written. His flying is good but he prefers to have me ride along with him from time to time for support, and to help sharpen him up. He is a friend, and i regularly fly his wife and daughters in their Cirrus. He may never get his ppl. He is your typical business owner that is consumed with work.

My original post was to learn more about the hiring process with custom and if I should be concerned if my log book is not 100% accurate. I would venture to say most people’s books are probably off by an hour or two after several years of flying. If you have nothing beneficial to offer to the conversation no need to respond. You pull a single statement out of a post and criticize it. Don’t be a tool. Relax, if you have a friend working on his ppl or just wanting to take the controls you don’t have to be a cfi to allow someone else to take the controls. I would still be PIC and responsible for the Aircraft. The owner of the Aircraft, and flight school is ok with it, not sure why you would care. Stay Classy.
Yes....I'd be very concerned if your friend is logging that time and you made it sound like if he was working toward finishing his PPL then he would be logging time towards that end. If this is not the case then a simple 'he doesn't log the time I fly with him' would have been sufficient.

As for your logbook not being correct - people who are serious in the business of aviation take a lot of time to make sure their logbooks are correct. Maybe you should put more into managing your future career.

I pull a single post of out of a post and ask a question because the content was confusing. You making such a defensive ride out of it even makes me wonder more if your 'friend training for his PPL' isn't logging the time. If he owns the plane - where does the flight school come into play that you say is 'ok with it'? Is the aircraft on lease back. Is he the one signing for the plane or are you?

If you are doing everything legal then it is good experience for this person; if not - you could setting him up for problems in the future if he continues in aviation.