manfred33
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: CRJ

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
FAA Home ▸ Licenses & Certificates ▸ Medical Certification
Pilot Medical Certification Questions and Answers
Print
Am I prohibited from exercising the privileges of my pilot certificate during medical deficiency?
Yes. You are prohibited from acting as pilot-in-command or as a required pilot flight crewmember during any medical deficiency that would be disqualifying or may interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft.
For more information, see 14 CFR �61.53
A simple problem such as a cold, a broken arm, or an abscessed tooth may require nothing more than the appropriate treatment and a little time before you can safely return to the skies. A more complicated problem or the development or change of a chronic illness may necessitate consultation with an AME or the FAA before resuming flying. New medical conditions do not need to be reported to the FAA until you wish to return to flying.
Page last modified: April 16, 2013 7:12:10 AM EDT
Yes of course, something as simple as a cold causes me to say, I'm not safe, so I should not be flying. Doesn't mean my medical is invalid... Something more serious means that I need to go to an AME before I fly again, but it doesn't mean my medical is invalid, or does it? Doesn't sound like it to me. Just don't go fly until you have checked with an AME... So, prohibited from flying, yes. Medical invalid, no.

Again, my question was not can I (or should I) legitimately go fly... It was a question about my medical. Naturally no one is going to fly during a period of medical deficiency (or at least they're not supposed to), but that doesn't automatically render your medical invalid it seems. And that was my whole question. Does your medical become invalid as a result of a serious medical deficiency or surgery etc... Nobody is saying yes to this question yet, so it sounds like the answer is no, you are just prohibited from flying, as we all know.