View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 PM
rpatte1637
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006

I had a small stroke a little over two years ago and have been out on pilot leave ever since. The FAA has a mandatory two year wait for any type of stroke unless a cause is found. Since I was back to pretty much 100% in about 3 months and placed on blood pressure and diabetes medicine, my AME and I decided to try for a one year waiting period, which ended up being closer to one and a half after doing a new MRI. He told me before we started "the worst they can say is you have to wait two years". So I filled out the Medexpress form, just in case he needed it to do a flight physical before we submitted all my medical records. I quickly received a letter in the mail from the FAA stating that I did not meet the medical requirements and needed to send my medical certificate to them in the next 30 days, if I remember right, or I could face legal action. After we sent in all my initial medical records, the FAA sent me another letter just before my two year anniversary requesting some additional testing be done after my two year anniversary, before they could start the review process. A lot of the tests were redundant, such as another MRI and medical information, which was basically the same as six months before. Even my neurologist said it was a bunch of unneeded expense, but that's what the FAA wanted, so that's what we did. All my new information has now been in OKC for about two months and when checked today, I got the standard "Its under review". I would say as long as you have not talked to the FAA, it is still valid technically, but any AME is going to recommend that you not fly. So its a definite yes but no, like any other government regulation. Hopefully your condition does not have as long of a waiting period as mine, being grounded sucks. Luckily between my ALPA Loss of License and delivering food part time, I have survived the last two years. Just remember the FAA works at it's own pace and be prepared to hurry up and wait. Best of luck