View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM
rpatte1637
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Manfred, it was about a year after my stroke that I did the Medexpress form and that was the only reason that the FAA knew about my condition. I had emailed the Atlanta RFS to see what I needed to do about six months after my stroke and they emailed me back how the process works, but never said anything about returning my medical to them or OKC. My private care physician was my former second class medical AME and he never said anything about notifying the FAA when I saw him, just not to fly and that it would take some time but he was sure I would get my medical back at some point. Since a senior AME has to file that type of request, I spoke to Dr Tom Faulkner in Atlanta and he said we could try for the one year period, since I was being treated for high blood pressure and diabetes and that was most likely the cause of my stroke, but he too never said anything about returning my medical certificate to the FAA. He did tell me right off hand that there was a chance that they would tell me that I had to wait the full two year and I agreed if they did then it was just something we would have to do, I'd already been out a year another year wasn't going to make much of a difference. Since we were filing the paperwork, I was not sure if he had to do a physical and actually defer it to the FAA or not, so I went ahead and filled out the Medexpress form anyway. Turned out all we had to do was file the paperwork with the Atlanta RFS and they reviewed it and forwarded everything to OKC for further review. Either way OKC would have found out when the paperwork was submitted and probably sent me the same letter then.