Old 07-16-2018, 05:24 PM
FangsF15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
Doc,

I think you'd be on the 737 unless you participated in an AE or Surplus bid along the way. But I'm not sure about that aspect. My situation is a bit different, as I have a displacement from the 744 to exercise. Which is, as you mentioned, an opportunity to bump in wherever my seniority could hold, since I was disallowed from bid participation while "out."

My impression is you'll be on the fast track for requal training, with little regard to seniority, and that you'd likely be slotted into one of the next spots that exist or could be created.
Rich (zippinbye), I'm not looking at it, but the contract is pretty specific on returning from LTD (more than 6 months out). You essentially get to 'pick' your spot - as you alluded - so long as someone junior to you bid it while out - which if you were on the whale would be quite a few bids... Even with your 74 Displacement bid, I think you would do no worse coming off LTD, since you can 'see' where you would go, but you would be afforded the same contractual protection as a result of either situation. Bottom line, you will have a bevy of options to select your place. IMO, it's a very nice piece of the contract to keep us from getting hosed (in a second way) by virtue of temporarily losing your medical. I found the company to be very helpful when I returned, and they have also let me Non-Rev a couple of times on STD when I asked for a valid reason (i.e. not just vacation). Also, DPMA has their reps that are helpful in getting some answers to these kinds of questions, as I think they have another avenue of inquiry. Sorry to hear of the FAA delays, that sucks. Hope you get back soon!

Doc, if my experience is any guide, you will absolutely not do anything in the 737. Disability and the PWA changes things, as I understand it. As I said, 7 weeks seemed to be a long wait to the company, but I think it was due to the peculiarities of the -400 not having a stand-alone syllabus. (I happened to get paired with an upgrading ER captain, whom I left when he had 2-3 sims remaining). If you return to the 330/350/777, I would expect them to shoehorn you in ASAP, even if they had to use seat fillers and a non-standard flow in the sim (i.e. not consecutive days and odd periods), but that's just a guess. Good luck. Let us know what they do with you, as I'm sure there are others (like Doc) for whom we can pay it forward. Good luck!