View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 AM
blindfayth
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by TheWeatherman View Post
Ohh, they are giving out extra money now on top of the 10K at the end of OE? Nice, not sure what that guy was complaining about.
Yeah. Someone joining today makes at least 55k first year (45k + 10k bonus), 58k second year (51k + 7.5k bonus), then if the 2 year upgrades happen, 95k third year.

That's being conservative, too. I'd imagine that if someone lived in base from day one, they could hold a line and get nice credit hours per month 2 months out of training, making it look more like this.

Year 1: 10k bonus + 4k per diem + [12 x (45 hrly rate * 95 credit hours)] = about 65k first year.

Year 2: 7.5k bonus + 4k per diem + [12 x (51 hrly rate * 95 credit hours)] = about 70k second year.

Year 3 upgrade pay: 4k per diem + [12 x (95 hrly rate * 95 credit hours)] = 112k third year. Probably much less due to being on reserve. (maybe around 85-90k)

Of course, mileage my vary. Taxes, health care costs, parking, flight benefits, 401k pre-tax deductions, amount of time on reserve, amount of flying picked up or dropped, etc may cause numbers to vary.

However, for someone willing to move to the midwest (CMH), these numbers provide someone a very health standard of living that's just starting out their 121 career in a location with very affordable cost of living.

This is also wonderful considering that this type of compensation would be attainable while also maintaining 15-18 days off a month, flying a newer fleet.

Now, would a DGI at EDV and being able to live near DTW outweigh these benefits? Is something like a DGI going to be necessary in this coming market? What if I'm completely content going to a LCC like SWA, JetBlue, or Spirit? Heck, what if I'm content making 140$/hr * 95hrs a month (160k) at RPA down the road until I retire? Do I *really* need more money than that?