View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Airsupport
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CRJ

Originally Posted by RJ85FO View Post
I believe this is a common misconception. It is my understanding that Flight Instruction does not count as "Commercial flying" with regards to 121.471 as it is does not fit the definition of "air commerce."

Flight instruction is allowed by Mesaba in this regard since it does not affect your 121 flight time limitations. You are still bound by 61.195 limiting flight instruction to 8 hours per day.

If you need verification, contact your local FSDO.

§ 121.471 Flight time limitations and rest requirements: All flight crewmembers.

(a) No certificate holder conducting domestic operations may schedule any flight crewmember and no flight crewmember may accept an assignment for flight time in scheduled air transportation or in other commercial flying if that crewmember's total flight time in all commercial flying will exceed—
(1) 1,000 hours in any calendar year;
(2) 100 hours in any calendar month;
(3) 30 hours in any 7 consecutive days;
(4) 8 hours between required rest periods.

i think you would have a hard time explaining that flight instructing on the side isn't commercial flying while receiving compensation. i also think you would have a harder time if you flight instructed for 5 hours that day and then go do a high speed or something that requires reduced rest. if the feds were to look at the logbook, i don't think they would be to pleased with what they saw.

as always pinnacle makes things easy on us.. do you want to flight instruct on the side??? the answer is NO YOU CANT...