View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 11:04 AM
CC268
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by Ecotone View Post
Wow, your situation sounds VERY similar to mine, it's almost eerie.

I am just a few years older than you (28), also working for Corporate America as a Reliability Engineer for a major Aviation/Power/Oil&Gas company... I have had my current job for almost 3 years and before that worked for a Jet Engine OEM and spent a few years as a Field Service Engineer supporting an ATL-based airline down at Hartsfield Jackson.

Well, all of that was exciting at first, money is a non-issue and my current lifestyle is quite comfortable. My wife and I are able to travel, go out and have fun whenever we want to, but the routine and lack of long term exciting perspectives with this career are taking their toll on me. Just like you, work-life balance is very important to me and from what I have seen so far, this doesn't seem quite compatible with the cubicle world and the natural progression of an engineering career going into higher roles.

My longtime desire of a flying career is finally catching up to me, and with the current hiring environment, I am very much in a 'now or never' mindset. Like others have mentioned, if for any reason things don't work out flying-wise, the degree and engineering career will be a guaranteed back-up.

I passed my Instrument checkride a month ago and am going for the Commercial in a week or so. CFI will be next in October and hoping to pull the trigger on the career switch by the end of the year / early 2019.

All the best with your decisions. I would absolutely recommend you go for it and don't look back. You have the support of your family, are debt free and have a solid back-up. You wouldn't want to wonder "What if?" in a few years.
That's great! Your description of the engineering career are spot on. It's amazing how many engineers I have met who share the same sentiment. I met a guy who was a Boeing Flight Test Engineer - actually had a pretty cool job. He hated it - long hours, working weekends, etc. Made the switch to flying and he seems to love it.

I wish I could get it all done this year, but I'm cash flowing it about as quick as I can right now.

You just don't know what to expect until you've done it I guess. Who knows, I might make the switch and find that I don't want to live in a crash pad anymore lol.