View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Unemployment? Could be problematic if you have a family.
Most of us who have been around for very long have been through a furlough, downsizing, closing, merger, yada, yada, and have done it with families. To suggest that one is forced into the job because of X is an excuse. He signed the contract to get what he wanted. He got it. Now he wants out.

I showed up at an operator for a job. No mention of a contract. I'd already separated from the other job. Moved to a new city. Ready to go. Day two the CEO entered the room, stack of paper in hand. Here's a 18 month contract, sign it or hit the bricks.

Bye-bye said I. Hold on a moment, said he. I don't do that.

I showed up at an interview for a company. No mention of paying for training. Not found. In between one of the interviews I caught wind of the scheme, so when they shuttled me into the interview room and the interviewer asked if I had any questions I said yes, indeed. I hear you're charging for training, with a bond. Yes, he admitted, we are, but it won't apply to you, given your experience. They had a cutoff point, and I wouldn't have been required to sign. Did I have a problem with that, I was asked. Why, yes?

Three of us walked out, caught the hotel shuttle to the airport, and left.

Homey don't play that, as the saying went, and homey went home (where one hangs one's hat. It's a mobile hat).

A few times over the years I've been told do this, sign that, agree to something, if you wish to keep your paycheck. At times it was with young ones, at times it was in a place where the employer might have thought he had me over a barrel. I've been known to say pound sand, take a hike, Sayonara, and a few other things, some less polite. I even had an employer hold me by the throat and slam me against a hangar wall when I was a 18 year old ag pilot...told me if I didn't agree I'd get a shotgun in my mouth. Unlike the original poster, I really did have the proverbial gun to the head, but unlike the original poster, I understand the concept of "no." It still works today.

If you want to call fear of saying "no" to be duress, by all means, glob onto that excuse, but it doesn't impress me, and you may have a hard time selling it to the judge.