View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 01:56 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

We had a guy who flew F-5s in the Iranian AF back in the day...thought his story was cool. Would not have known about it if he didn't wear the tie tack....it was nice conversation starter.

FWIW...I wear an ALPA tie tack. I HAVE worn an MD-11 tie tack... The story was I was a new hire at FedEx on a crew van, and made a comment to the captain wearing his. We chatted a bit and I mentioned I hoped to get to the MD eventually (in 02-03 things got pretty stagnant and movement was nil. I was on 727 panel 2.5 years...) Anyway--this captain reaches down, gives me his tie tack, and tells me the jet is worth the wait and hang on to this until you get there...you will love it. Now--a guy in his 50s just gave a guy in his late 30s a token--and yeah--we aren't 8 years visiting the cockpit the first time on a trip to visit grandma, but I thought the gesture was pretty darn cool. And...I DID keep the pin, and I DID wear it after MD-11 IOE for a while, and I still have it. When I finally step off the left seat of the 767, I haven't decided if I'm going to go to the left side of the fatter 777 or back to the MD-11, but part of the reason I still miss the 3 holer were the crews and the spirit and respect they showed each other as we explored the globe.

So--if I do go back--I'll be wearing the pin...until another FO stuck on another fleet asks me about it.

And...if that ruins your day...get over it. I like 'em. They tell a story. I like hearing stories...