Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 PM
2StgTurbine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
has safely accumulated 5000 flying hours including 1500-2000 of 121 time.
I flew with plenty of pilots with clean records who were far from safe. There are lots of mechanisms in place in this industry that protect bad pilots. I met a few that did not understand how to actually fly an engine out procedure in a mountainous airport. That deficiency would only be uncovered if they had an engine fail at V1 in Aspen.

has passed a half dozen physicals (even FAA physicals)
Look at any thread here asking for an AME recommendation and there are tons of "pilot friendly" examiners. I have even heard of pilots taking a 3 hour flight for an easy medical.

has a clean police record
So, by avoiding a bar fight, you should get a job at a legacy.

passed the KCM check
Are you serious? You have a valid license and don't test positive for explosive residue.

hhas a few recommendations from people with similar qualifications
I agree that a recommendation is good, but if every active pilot recommends someone, then how is management realistically supposed to rate each and every one of the 10,000 plus recommendations?

Personally, I am against personality tests too, but when a company has to evaluate literally thousands of applicants they are looking for anything that will help them reduce the number of people that they actually have to interview.