View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 PM
futurepilot11
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Bachelor's vs. Associate's Program

I have been looking at different pathways to get my degree and flight training done. I have narrowed it down to a couple of options. All of the options include an aviation degree. I am currently a senior in high school and I will just be turning 17 by the time I graduate (graduating a year early). My goal is to be at the airlines when I am 21.

My first choice is Cochise College, they offer an associates degree in aviation and it is very affordable. I would finish the program in 2 years with all my ratings. After completing the program I will have two years until I am able to get a job at a regional and that will leave me plenty of time to instruct. This path seems to be perfect with the exception of it not offering a 4 year degree. So, I would have to transfer to UVU online to finish my degree. But, I don't know if I want to be working on my degree when I am at the airlines and/or instructing.

The two other schools I am considering offer four year aviation degrees. The schools are Utah Valley University (in person program) or Central Washington University. The benefit to each is they offer me a bachelor's degree which I will need for the majors. Yet, they are both about twice the cost as the 2 year degree option. They will each take 4 years plus 1 year of instructing to get to the airlines. Putting me at 22 years old, year 2024. This is a year longer than the 2 year degree plan. It may seem like just a year, but from looking at all the majors retirement numbers I want to get the most out of the hiring boom.

I also considered ASU and UND, but ASU is overpriced and said to be subpar and UND is in the not so great state of North Dakota.

Thanks for your help