View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 05:42 AM
KYTBRD
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012
Position: MD-11

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
Something worth considering is that our new CBA is now likely to take effect sometime around 2020. That’s when another series of contracts at major players come back up. While things will surely get better here, things will also be better elsewhere. So we’re lagging and we’re going to keep lagging unless we get something really, really good. That’s just not going to happen.

It’s kind of a bummer. I like my job. I like my crews. I detest applying, interviewing, etc. Sometimes it feels like we’re being forced out the door.
I had this exact feeling back in 2016. I really enjoyed the crews I flew with and the job. I was flying a 747 around the world to some really cool places. There had been quite a bit of hiring so I had some decent seniority to get the days off I wanted. It was my first airline job after retiring from the military. I hated the thought of prepping for another interview or beingjunior again. I wanted it to workout. Even though other Atlas FOs/Capts had told me I’d be better off somewhere else I refused and hoped for the best. But after the very first “meeting” in 2016 to discuss openers was handled in such a blatantly hostile manner by the company I knew it was time to leave. It was a slap in the face. I realized I was trying to hold on to a bad relationship and make it work. Force it to be better. But in a single moment I realized no matter how much I wanted our relationship to improve the other party’s heart wasn’t there to make it better. No amount of counseling was going to improve the status quo. And I wasn’t going to wait around for the company to realize my worth to our relationship. So we split up and I’m much much happier with my new ”girlfriend”. She’s not perfect and may not be as glamorous, but I’m in a much better relationship now. I can now look back and remember Atlas for some very fun times and I met some fabulous folks there who I really enjoyed flying with. But I wish I had listened to my friend’s advice a year earlier. Don’t do what I did and hang around just because it’s easier.

Some of you know who I am from my tag and I’ve tried to help as many folks as possible who have called asking, “what’s it like in your new job?” I check this thread occasionally hoping Atlas will come to the table to improve it’s relationship. I want the pilots of Atlas to succeed and hope you all get what you’ve patiently tried to negotiate, but in the 2 years I’ve been gone it seems nothing has changed and I’m still very satisfied current “girlfriend” is the right choice. Not because the old one is still toxic, but because the new one truly is best for me and my family.

Good luck.