Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

It’s easy to critique people from the other side of a keyboard. Also, while I do harbor a general distaste for the narsacistic nature of social media and YouTube “influencers”, I don’t think the video poster had that intention. I think it’s an honest video to help mil pilots looking at crossing over, while also serving as a marketing platform for his books.

Problem is it’s not titled that way so anyone can see it. The other issue is that he tells the general public that being airline pilot is easy. In the 20min video that must have been said at least 10 times. Basically he gets little satisfaction from the job and does it for the money (to be clear, we all do it for the money). That feeds the stereotype that we and our unions are trying to fight which is we are over paid bus drivers. In a time when we are fighting constant threats to discredit our importance, level of responsibility, erode our pay and benefits, and legislation to look into single pilot operations, this video doesn’t help our cause.

According to the video a fighter pilot does a much harder job for a whole lot less money. So that begs the question, why are we paying airline pilots this much? Different angle but the same damage as the Instagram and you tube stars of Ryan Air and regional airlines that glamorize the job while working for next to nothing.