Old 09-23-2018, 01:27 PM
swaayze
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DFW A320 FO

So a sidetrack:

What sources do y’all recommend?

I have a few that I regularly check out but really haven’t tried too many in the FIRE area.

PODCASTS:

Better Off - not FIRE at all, in fact she just told some poor 50yo guy with almost $3M that she’s not sure he’d be safe retiring. WTF? Obviously she’s way too conservative but the info is often good and it balances in my mind the very low numbers some FIRE folks put out there.

Listen Money Matters - was bad, then pretty good, now not as good again. Entertaining more than highly educational to me.

ChooseFI - just tuned into this one recently, seems promising

BLOGGERS:

Mr Money Mustache - Obviously. Entertaining, informative and not just about FIRE or even money. Dishes out face-punches and leaves me asking “Thank you sir may I have another!”

He’s the only one I’ve completely followed, though I’ve heard of many other standards like ERE, GET RICH SLOWLY, MAD FIENTIST, FRUGALWOODS. Any of these worth following religiously? Others?

Of course I’ve been reading financial info for 30 yrs. (Charles J Givens and Carlton Sheets anyone?) Tuned into Dave Ramsey almost daily for a year or so and like his common sense, no nonsense attitude but it got old and redundant. So I’ve got a pretty good knowledge base but I find that seeking new points of view and different paths keeps me motivated to not get out of control (I’m finally making good money and feeling some temptation after many years of making not-so-much money, which made serious discipline mandatory).