View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 06:49 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

I was thinking about moving out to North Carolina to attend Duke about 5 years ago. I had no flight experience at that time so I searched the area for flight schools, and I was really out of luck. It seemed like independent contractors instructing in their own 152's on either grass strips or untowered airports was the standard out there.

I remember checking out RDU, but that may be just way too busy to do all of your flight training at. If you fly at an untowered airport, you may get your ratings done slightly cheaper, but you will have no experience at busy airports. If you do your ratings at a busy airport like RDU, it will take you more hours and more money to get the same licenses. I recommend a towered airport that is not a commercial airport. These are generally complex enough, but not too busy that you spend forever waiting for departure, or holding outside the airspace to land.

I would recommend doing your flight training at RDU, but just be aware that it will cost you more money.

Last edited by ryane946; 04-07-2006 at 06:52 AM.