View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Not everyone had the silver spoon put in their mouth; for the pilot seeking the multi experience, agreeing to stay aboard for a period of time isn't such a bad thing, and it's not unreasonable for an employer to make the request. It's more expensive to ensure an inexperienced pilot, and the inexperienced pilot often takes more training, especially with a piston engine where improper use is more likely to cause damage.

The new employee gains experience and multi engine time. The employer would like to see a return on the investment. Employees who bail at the first sign of a shiny turbine mean that the training and insurance process starts over, increasing costs.

Someone paid for the military pilot's training, but it wasn't the military pilot, and I've met a lot of former military that still don't grasp the concept. In fact, I've worked for a number of veteran-owned operations that won't hire military pilots for that very reason; they've come aboard and taken the training and run, some hiring right out the door of flight safety without ever even coming home to give a day of service. So long as someone else is paying, they're happy to take the training and run.

It's because of employees to who take the training and run, that these contracts exist in the first place.
Not unreasonable, Business's do it ultimately when the market allows them to charge you for the job. Know your experienced enough to know this business reality. Heard it in 1993 when no pilots needed. Airline president "I do it because I can" was the reason for Pay for training. Want a job? Become an indentured servant for awhile.
Military :
I spent 30 years serving around the world giving my fellow citizens a return on their pilot training investment. 10 years of active duty military for pilot training is not a cut and run proposition. Yes, I did pay for it in part with my service obligations and I pay and paid taxes that helped pay for my training. Appears military pilots are low brow folks in your world. Personally, would hire mil types if I had a business. Know what it takes to keep them around even with lower pay than market. No silver spoon here. Earned like most
Cheers