View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 AM
RckyMtHigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

My biggest factor in my job choice was quality of life over the first five years and the biggest factor in that was living in base. SWA was the fastest route to where I wanted to live, months of commuting vice years. In year three, I average 12 days of work a month, bid for early returns on last day when I can (home before noon on the last day is almost another day off). Most people at swa seem to be chasing the $, so lower paying easy trips are usually plentiful to trade with the company. Benefits for us slackers of no-pbs bidding is with monthly overlap correction can drop a day or two off your schedule and your week of vacation turns into 18+ days off. Dropping trips in their entirety is not easy. You need someone else to pick up from you and until you’re senior, probably not going to happen.

I chose SWA knowing I was giving up faster seniority and earning potential down the road (long term QOL). But with only a 15 year career, those were less important. If I was looking at a longer career, retirement numbers and variety of flying elsewhere would have made the decision more difficult.