Old 09-26-2018, 03:34 PM
jupiter87140
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2018
Default Handwriting Problem - Tremor In Left Hand

Hi All,

I've just started training for my private license. I have about 10 hours, including takeoffs, stalls, steep turns, etc. I have not yet done a landing, although we are working up to that.

I've had an issue over the last 10 years or so, where I have a slight tremor in my left hand, but it only shows up when I try to write anything left handed with a pen. It doesn't show up at any other time. In fact, while training, I am using my left hand controlling the yolk and other controls. There has been no issue, other than when doing handwriting.

I've always been left handed for eating and writing, while playing tennis and golfing with my right hand.

Anyway, this has never been an issue, because I pretty much have gone completely electronic and paperless in life. I type almost everything, and only have had to write once a month to write out a check.

But here is the problem...flight training, and working with flight schools, in terms of filling out Hobbs time, tach time, etc., in their books, has brought this problem back to the forefront for me. I don't understand why flight schools can't go completely electronic, and use keyboards, instead of archaically having to write out Hobbs times and tach times in their archaic handwritten notebooks.

In any event, despite my conducting takeoffs, flight maneuvers, stalls, steep turns, and working up to landing soon, my flight instructor believes that this small tremor in my left hand, which ONLY shows up when I'm doing handwriting, could be a problem, in terms of a designated examiner, and potentially could cause me to fail the private pilot checkride.

Do I need a new instructor, or is he correct, and should I hang it up now and not spend money and waste time pursuing the private license, with a problem that only shows up when I am trying to write with my left hand.

Or perhaps I should learn to write with my right hand, which has no minor tremor whatsoever?

I really look forward to your comments on this, and thank you for your attention to this matter!