Old 10-02-2018, 05:42 AM
Ecotone
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

As someone who was in training all throughout this year for my IR and Commercial, and as a potential future CFI, I think this is a great idea. I was struggling to find qualified safety pilots to go fly and shoot approaches with and was actually thinking about building an app/website to make it easier for pilots to get together. Of course, just like you pointed out, safety concerns come to mind. There needs to be a way to vet a pilot's credentials (certificates/ratings held, airplanes flown, time in last x months, total time, home base, personal weather minimums, etc.).

As far as the review system, I also really think this is seriously lacking. Having reviews on flight schools is one thing, but we all know the quality of instruction is highly dependent upon the CFI. I wish there was a way for pilots to get some reassurance before committing to flight training with a particular instructor. This is something we do for any type of business these days, why not flight training? You have a great point regarding bad reviews for CFI, there needs to be a verification system before those actually go live on the website. The review from an angry student who just doesn't get along with his/her instructor would need special attention.

If something like this already exists then by all means share it with the rest of the community. In my experience, the best way to get a semi-decent feel for a flight school has been to use various sources such as APC, Reddit, Google search, Yelp, Google reviews, Facebook. And even then, it is hard to find quality/constructive general info on a flight school, let alone an instructor or an airplane.