Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 PM
TaylorPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

I don't think you have done anything wrong. It was your first medical form and you have just started dipping your toe into the steaming pile of ******* that is the FAA legal system. That said, it is upon you as a pilot to "self ground" yourself if you develop a medical issue that could limit your abilities to carry out your duties. I would try to lean on the side of caution when dealing with the FAA. The AOPA is a non-profit (not really) organization that lobbies for and assists pilots. If you pay their yearly fee (I think it is less than a one hour rental), you have access to their lawyers and medical staff that can answer any questions. I personally would not do anything (fly or mess with a new medical form) until I talked to them and had a very good idea of the path forward.

As far as paper and pen being stone aged, I disagree. You can use the Ipad, and apps like foreflight that typically have a scratch pad, even with different sections for standardized clearances. Problem is standard clearances are kind of like 29.92...they never happen. Once you start IFR training, and/or operating out of complex airports and air spaces, you will get some pretty none standard instructions. You need a free hand way of writing these down quickly. Heading and altitude can quickly be dialed in with heading and altitude bugs. But most 40 year old cessnas don't have them, and dual g5s to get them run about 10k. There really isn't any faster or easier way then just writing it down. I am left handed and sometimes it is a PITA because I put a knee board on my right knee, and without an autopilot in turbulence down low I have to reach over and write on my other knee. Life would be easier if I was right handed. Plus paper never runs out of batteries. The further you get into this you will realize everything is about redundancy and simplicity. I understand why you may have gotten upset with some of these guys basically saying you broke the law, that's why you came here to ask right?! It has all gotten a little out of control. Although some of them have pretty strong personalities, they typically lean on the side of caution and collectively have 100s of years of experience. I know guys with much much more serious issues that fly every week, living the good life. This is not insurmountable.

In summation, paper is used because it works great, doesn't break and is cheap (rare in aviation). Call AOPA, find out if it is an issue, and if the medicine he suggested will be something you would need to report before your next medical. Personally if I could take a medicine that wouldn't effect my ability to get a medical, and would allow me to get rid of a tremor, I would do it without question.

You will need to be able to write free hand to be a pilot...Sometimes under high stress situations in a cloud, in congested airspace, with malfunctioning equipment. If you are having to worry about your ability to write legibly, you are adding another layer of stress you do not need. Being an airline pilot right now is a great career choice. Beginning pay is getting better, and senior pay has always been good...Lots of retirements coming, more demand world wide...

I just wish everyone would stop taking everything so personal and maintain civility.