View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 08:35 AM
pilotrs
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default Commercial Pilot Training

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—

(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;

(ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;

(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) Three hours in a single-engine airplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.

(4) Ten hours of solo flight time in a single engine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement under paragraph (a)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed under §61.127(b)(1) that include—

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

As a private pilot who is currently building cross country hours for the instrument rating. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try to meet the requirements for a commercial rating as well, at least the number 4. So if I were to log a 300 nm solo cross country with one leg of 250 nm and 3 stops. Will that satisfy it for Part 4 of the regulations here or I have to do that afterwards as part of commercial training? Same for Part 4b. If I do a night cross country solo and 10 take offs and landings in the pattern (say 2 on each leg at each airport about 50nm away), will that count?

Finally regarding number 3. Wouldn't I satisfy 3i as part of instrument rating training or that'll have to be done separately after commercial, and what about 3ii and 3iii, do those have to be with an instructor as well for special commercial training. I feel part 3 is strict commercial training, but I'd like to at least take care of section 4 requirements while building cross country for the instrument rating