Thread: Spin Training
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 12:29 PM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

most cfi schools do not even do an actual spin since it is not required. You just have to get into the onset of a spin, recognize it and input the proper recovery techniques. So you can basically just get a 1/4 turn spin and call it a day, a huge disservice.

I was very fortunate to have a good cfi for tailwheel with whom I did multiple spin lessons with and then was fortunate to become an aerobatic and unusual attitude instructor logging hundreds if not near a thousand spins, it enhances anyones SA in many ways. We often taught not only spins to cfi applicants but 4 different varieties to ensure they were prepared. We taught an entry from standard base to final, taught an entry from a slipping steep turn, taught the standard 1g straight ahead spin and last but not least a spin from the top of the loop to teach that just because you were inverted at the onset of the spin it does not mean it is an inverted spin and the recovery mirrors that of the others. I felt it armed a new cfi applicant with a much better awareness of spins. Proud to say I have had the honor of flying with some extremely talented cfi's who showed me the ropes.