View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by airplane401 View Post
In short, I'm a CFI with about 1000 hours looking to go to the airlines. I however am not instrument current at all. I was thinking of hitting the books and getting my CFII. I originally got my instrument rating in a analog gauge airplane in 2012 which was the last time I was instrument current. I do teach in both analog and G1000 now. Would it be easier to get current and get my CFII in a G1000 airplane or analog gauge airplane?
Easier or better? And do you mean merely instrument current and get your CFII or "current" for purposes of preparing yourself for the airlines?

It really amazes me how seldom some people actually use their instrument ratings although that may be a function of locale. if you are merely worried about passing the CFII practical your choice of aircraft might depend on the examiner you get and/or choose. Some seem to consider glass panels to almost be "cheating" and will "fail" every function on the glass panel that would give you an advantage over steam gauges and you'll wind up on them anyway. Some seem to be techno-buffs that will try to get you to demonstrate to them every esoteric function (I don't think I've ever used the point of closest approach function on instruments) and really expect you to know the trivia. And of course if you are actually going to FUNCTION as a CFII you'll really need to be decent at both because a lot of your flying may be in the student's own aircraft at that level.

Overall, if you want to best prepare yourself for regional airlines though I'd think glass panel.

Have you considered perhaps a brief stint of 135 flying to get you some ACTUAL instrument experience?