Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Onfinal
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: ERJ CAPT

flyingsioux:

Frankly, If it is exactly as you say, I don't think it will be a big deal for an airline. Unfortunately, it is in the recent and not distant past.

A word of advice.

Remember, you have been charged with an offense, and it is not a felony. Felonys are very bad. Lot's of people have misdemeanors for a variety of stuff. I had one for an altercation in College.

I think the biggest thing to be prepared for is that the prosecutor will likely try to get you to plead guilty, and then let you walk away. They will act like they are trying to help you, but the reality is they just want to have another successful conviction on their record. This is the dark side of how prosecutors operate. They try to tally up convictions like pilots tally up hours, and then one day, they are appointed or elected a judge based on all those convictions. (Remember the Duke Rape Case). Do not plead guilty. Explain the situation to the judge, as you did to us, and be prepared to pay the debt. Check in hand. The worst that can happen is he/she finds you guilty and then you are in no worst a situation than if you plead guilty right off. Of course consult with a reputable lawyer beforehand. I'm advising you based on my experience, but obviously I am no lawyer.

I don't know where you are in your career, but again, when I told my current company (xjt) about my past misdemeanor...they just shrugged their shoulders.

Best or Luck!

Onfinal