View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
aviationfrk
Short bus CA (CR2)

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Since we are on the topic of headsets and I was considering posting about this I figure I will contribute.

I currently fly an Islander, which if anyone has experienced a flight in one, is a quite loud light twin. I have had much experience with the Bose headset and although the active ANR works well, I feel that it has been usurped by the Lightspeed ZULU.

Recently I bought a ZULU at a local FBO and I have nothing but great things to praise about it. First off, the total noise canceling is just about the equivalent of the Bose headset. Not only does it cost $150 less than the Bose but it is better equipt. I feel the best feature of the ZULU is that it cancels out the static hiss in the intercom system while not communicating. Also, the ZULU has auxiliary input as well as bluetooth support. Bluetooth easily interfaces with a bluetooth phone and phone calls using bluetooth work tremendously well. The ZULU is also comfortable. Although, nothing can compare to the comfort of the BOSE, I am able to wear the ZULU for hours without getting a headache.

I have never flown in a B1900 but during takeoff roll in the Islander the ZULU actually works better than the BOSE to cancel out the engine noise. I am not sure how the ZULU would compare at takeoff with turbine engines.

The only drawback to the ZULU is that once the batteries die the headset volume lowers tremendously and the sound quality reduces considerably. However, I use rechargeable batteries and have not had a pair die in the air. The power indicator predicts battery level fairly well even with the rapid decrease associated with rechargeable batteries.

Overall, I feel that the ZULU is a better alternative to the BOSE. For those of you that wear Prada the Bose will accentuate your sunglasses well. For those of you that want a cheaper alternative that is functionally superior, the ZULU is a good choice.