View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 155mm View Post
"(c)Logging of pilot time. The pilot time described in this section may be used to:

(1) Apply for a certificate or rating issued under this part or a privilege authorized under this part; or

(2) Satisfy the recent flight experience requirements of this part."

"(j)Aircraft requirements for logging flight time. For a person to log flight time, the time must be acquired in an aircraft that is identified as an aircraft under § 61.5(b)"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.51

Since the logbook is a legal document for demonstrating fulfillment of FARs, I would not treat it as a journal as you suggest. If the flight time is not relevant to your professional career, keep separate logbooks/journals for drone time, "radio operator time", "passenger time", etc. Make no mistake, it is a Legal document!
I disagree. Only time that's needed to meet FAR requirements for ratings, certs, privileges, or currency needs to be logged. Many older airline pilots don't log anything at all (currency records are maintained by the company). Many older non-airline pilots only log what they need for currency. As long as you don't try to pass it off as something it's not, the FAA doesn't care.

Only the part that's applicable to FAA requirements is a legal document, and I think they can only hold it against you if YOU try to represent the logged time for FAA requirements. Ie, I don't think they could subpoena your logbook and violate because something was logged improperly unless you used that logged time to fool the FAA.

Ie, they can't grab your logbook and violate you because it shows you weren't instrument current. What if you kept another logbook?

Employers might care however, often depends on the person doing the logbook review (who might have a particular opinion).

Last edited by rickair7777; 10-21-2018 at 06:49 PM.