View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 09:19 PM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
1. Earning an active-20 retirement is not an option for most reserves, the Army is probably the most accommodating, but the Navy WILL NOT let you go on orders if there's any chance you'll hit 20 active... only way to do that in the Navy reserve is to already be on orders and then get extended for mission-critical reasons. I've seen it and it's only been seals and one or two staff O-6's. The extension requests had to come from 3-stars, and included dialog with the CNRFC flags.

2. Most reserves don't do serial long-term orders, and get a little tired of getting flack on behalf of those who do, and those who actually abuse the system.

3. It's a choice... get out and join the airline, or stay in for O5/O6 and then join the airline. If the later, you have lower pay and seniority, but you have the retirement. This smacks of having your cake and eating it too.

4. As I mentioned in the other thread, make sure you can come back in five years. That provision will prevent most folks from getting a regular retirement.

But all that said, if it's probably legal. Not sure if the navy will grant leave for the purpose of joining the airlines, and I doubt the airlines will hire you if they realize what you're up to (the shortage might get to that point in a few years though).
It’s a damn shame the navy intentionally attempts to screw guys out of a full time retirement. If a seaman is willing to do 20 full time years, no mattter whether it is consecutive or broken up in chunks of orders, they should allow it so long as the seaman is meeting the standard for retention and promotion. But intentionally not giving orders for the sole purpose of preventing a retirement is effed up. What a p!ss poor service that doesn’t take care of those who served a career. Makes me wonder what they teach at that naval community college in annapolis. Half joking, but the point stands.

To the OP, you’ll prob be fine with your plan, assuming you get a seniority number at a carrier you want to be at. I don’t know exactly what the program entails, or what you have to disclose to your future employer, if anything, but I’m assuming you’ve figured that out and it all checks.

That said, if I’m a hiring guy at XX airline and I see someone with 18 years in who is applying, I’m betting said dude will drop mil leave for a couple years early on to get a retirement. They know the deal. Not legal as a hiring consideration, and plenty of people get hired in that demographic, but I’m guessing it happens. When I went to a DAL job fair, one of the recruiters asked me if I was completely out of the military or still in the guard/res. Don’t think that was legal for them to ask, but what am I going to do as an applicant. There’s a reason they asked. If airlines catch on to this CIP program (which they will as soon as guys do it), it will likely cause further scrutiny in the future, and I’m sure they will figure out who is doing CIP. Again, may or may not affect you (you got 2 CJOs so it’s worked ok so far) or anyone else thinking about this program, just a consideration. Also, you put some pretty precise identifying info here and in the other thread. These boards get looked at. I’ll leave it at that. Again though, sounds like it will work out for you, and I hope it does. Those couple years could mean big money/QOL if it works as advertised.