Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I was flying a plane with no pre-set tailwind limit.

Instead of using the normal 1200ft of runway, I ended using around 2000ft. Still made the same exit. We had 7000ft left.
Also, I think I hit 90kts tire speed on touchdown, instead of the usual 70'ish.
I think we were okay.
Ok – no set tailwind limit. My bad. I assumed you were operating a 121 jet. Got it. Sounds like you’re not flying 121.
Every one of the transport category jets I’ve flown (4 Boeings, 2 Airbus and the MD-11) all have specific tailwind and crosswind limits in the flight manual (some even have headwind limits in the case of autoland). So, that’s where it’s prohibited for operators of those aircraft. 777 tailwind limit is 15 knots. For you, I guess there is no limit other than what your landing data calculations provide. Maybe you don’t calculate landing data – sounds like you just decide after you land if you were okay by what taxiway you make. To each his own.

We don’t have the option to say – “Meh… made the same turn-off as I usually do, so we’re fine.” If the winds are out of limits, we don’t land.
Someone wants a wind check, have at it. Personally, I’ve always taken them with a grain of salt. Flying into our old Asia hub in Subic Bay, the tower was notorious for giving us the winds we “needed” to land in the preferred direction. Luckily, we have an on-board display that I find far more helpful than what the tower is calling. If it’s showing an out of limits tailwind when I get over the numbers, then it’s time to go around regardless of what the tower is telling me.

Last edited by Adlerdriver; 10-27-2018 at 04:32 PM.