Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
Once you get outside of the US, a lot of airports are one way in, one way out. Sometimes this is due to terrain or lack of an Insteument approach, restricted areas or weather. My home airport regularly has a 20-40 kt tailwind, transitioning to a 10-15 kt headwind below 1000’ agl, a lot of terrain and thermals. Also, there are hostile neighbors on 2 sides. Thanks for your flight instructor expertise though Maverick.
Oh.. wow. Tell me more about this "outside the US" you speak of. And "hostile neighbors".... I think I peed myself a little just typing it.

Look you clown. If your company allows you to ignore manufacturer flight manual ops limits and do whatever you want, then have at it. I don't have that option nor did any other 121 airlines I worked for.

Regardless of thermals or tailwinds that turn to headwinds - If I'm looking at more than a 15 knot tailwind when I cross the threshold, I'm not allowed to land. I value my job, my license and the safety of our crew far more than being able to come on to APC and try to impress everyone with my war stories of crazy winds and scary neighbors. I'm not interested in comparing war stories from another life. Now I get stuff from A to B safely while complying with the restrictions my employer and aircraft manufacturer have imposed on me.