View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
Yeah I had no idea the navy was so stingy until I flew with a couple navy dudes who finished in the reserves who told me it was basically impossible to get an active retirement. It just didn’t compute based on how many AFR/ANG guys swing active retirements, I figured there’d be no difference across services.
Navy has no budget plays to work around like USAF/USAFR/ANG and USA/USAR/NG which big USAF and USA have a say. USN alone to manage USN/USNR, thus, some differences exist in staffing and budgeting mission sets. Its not punitive, its a congressional funding issue ultimately.
If USN has access to title 32 state budget process and federal congressional organization as a National Guard, may see same arrangements.
If leave active duty Navy, you know the deal. No surprises or cheap shots by the Navy IMO. I managed multiple budgets in my command tours and fought to fund our sailors to accomplish our mission. Always a shoestring. If needed a full time sailor with expertise, we went to fill the billet with an active duty qualified sailor. It was easier to manage because everyone short of dollars. For the one active duty sailor reservists to get an active duty retirement, many other reserve sailors would "pay" the bill with less drills funded and more work "without" pay. Many do extra work off the clock. Service to country does not always pay cash. (didn't consider myself a mercenary either)