View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 PM
baronbvp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Position: E175 FO
Default Retired Navy Looking at Airlines

I realize I’ve posted this in other threads, but I think we military guys are looking for the gouge wherever we can find it.

I’m a retired Navy EA-6B and FA-18 pilot and Prowler squadron CO with 3240 hours (all turbine) and 2991 hours turbine PIC. I have interviews with SkyWest and Horizon this month. My problem is I haven’t flown in 14 years since my squadron change of command.

I’m treating this process like flight school - studying my butt off for the interviews and looking for them to hire me for what I bring to the table. A regional will pay for me to get my ATP so I can be a Part 121 newbie FO to gain currency and recency.

Nobody cares how many strikes I led over Iraq and Afghanistan or how many traps I have. They only care that I can learn the business, fly the jet and execute the instrument procedures, and be in a mindset to work hard and learn.

I readily accept that I will have to take the low pay and new guy scheduling to learn the ropes of a new industry. If I’m so fortunate as to get hired, I will treat my ATP-CTP course and regional ground school like flight school. That’s how I’m playing it: I’m here to learn from the captains, build recency and currency, learn the modern airline cockpit and procedures, and help the regionals with their pilot shortage - not to do a touch and go on my way to the majors.

I think one thing old military guys like me bring to the table is we’re salty. We know how to fly a jet manually and how to recognize and deal with things like loss of airspeed indication, icing, or deep stalls that seem to have bitten some airline pilots in recent accidents. We know how to feel the energy state of an airplane. We have big picture SA and years of experience under pressure with low fuel, bad weather, breaking out at mins, going missed approach and diverting to alternates, talking to ATC in busy situations and complex airspace, overcoming inflight emergencies, and bringing the jet back no matter what. Young guys just don’t have that.

OBTW, I’m 57 so only have max 8 years before I have to retire. I just want to fly again. Hopes are regional FO, upgrade to CA, and maybe a couple years of being an FO at Alaska. That path, along with no more night traps, is fine with me.