View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by baronbvp View Post
I realize I’ve posted this in other threads, but I think we military guys are looking for the gouge wherever we can find it.
Please stick to one thread, thanks. I created one for you.

I’m a retired Navy EA-6B and FA-18 pilot and Prowler squadron CO with 3240 hours (all turbine) and 2991 hours turbine PIC. I have interviews with SkyWest and Horizon this month. My problem is I haven’t flown in 14 years since my squadron change of command.
They will both hire you immediately. Be prepared to make a choice.

I’m treating this process like flight school - studying my butt off for the interviews and looking for them to hire me for what I bring to the table. A regional will pay for me to get my ATP so I can be a Part 121 newbie FO to gain currency and recency.

Nobody cares how many strikes I led over Iraq and Afghanistan or how many traps I have. They only care that I can learn the business, fly the jet and execute the instrument procedures, and be in a mindset to work hard and learn.
Good plan. It will come back quick for a guy like you, but it's possible to fail if you have bad work ethic or attitude. Most experienced civilian pilots have a jaded attitudes toward military heroics. Most appreciate and respect it, but they also know it doesn't necessarily mean you're automatically a good airline pilot.

Don't be like iceman...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk75ps

I readily accept that I will have to take the low pay and new guy scheduling to learn the ropes of a new industry. If I’m so fortunate as to get hired, I will treat my ATP-CTP course and regional ground school like flight school. That’s how I’m playing it: I’m here to learn from the captains, build recency and currency, learn the modern airline cockpit and procedures, and help the regionals with their pilot shortage - not to do a touch and go on my way to the majors.
Consider getting a little GA instrument currency before you go to class. You'll *probably* be fine without it, but better safe than sorry.

I think one thing old military guys like me bring to the table is we’re salty. We know how to fly a jet manually and how to recognize and deal with things like loss of airspeed indication, icing, or deep stalls that seem to have bitten some airline pilots in recent accidents. We know how to feel the energy state of an airplane. We have big picture SA and years of experience under pressure with low fuel, bad weather, breaking out at mins, going missed approach and diverting to alternates, talking to ATC in busy situations and complex airspace, overcoming inflight emergencies, and bringing the jet back no matter what. Young guys just don’t have that.
That's true but entry-level airline training doesn't test that, you'll need to focus on what they do test.

The airlines get all that, they just want to be sure you'll be a good ROI: Pass training, don't create conflict on line, and stick around for a while. Actually the regionals will hire all military pilots, even the ones who probably won't stick around just in the hopes than one in ten will stay for whatever reason.

OBTW, I’m 57 so only have max 8 years before I have to retire. I just want to fly again. Hopes are regional FO, upgrade to CA, and maybe a couple years of being an FO at Alaska. That path, along with no more night traps, is fine with me.
Progression to the majors is probably going to the best choice for QOL (and obviously pay). Unless you want to be certain you retire as a CA.

You will get calls from multiple majors with less than two years at a regional, just based on your military experience after the cobwebs are knocked off. The only stumbling block at an interview might be why you didn't go for airlines immediately after retirement so you'll want to have a good answer for that (didn't want to sit reserve in NY is probably not a good answer).

For PNW, I'd plan DAL as a first choice, you'll move faster than at AS due to retirement numbers. Also it's hard to get hired at AS and nobody has cracked the code on exactly what the right formula is. I know guys who were SEA born and raised, numerous internal recs, but could never get an interview, or bombed the one they did get. Others got called out of the blue and hired after applying with no history or connections. YMMV. Nothing wrong with working there, just saying it's risky to plan on getting in, or trying to predict when it might happen. Although they might like you, knowing that at your age you probably won't bother leaving for a DAL a couple years later.

Last edited by rickair7777; 11-07-2018 at 08:53 AM.