Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by aajones5 View Post
You're very correct on that and that is a significant area of need. The reason I said specifically regularly scheduled routes was because I wanted pilots who had done a decent amount of flying in the last 28 days. The study is not limited to just pilots flying part 121.
Again, see previous response. You say you want pilots who fly a lot and you want scheduled pilots to study "jet lag" (circadian fatigue), yet exclude the pilots that regularly fly thousands of miles on each leg, crossing eight or more time zones, etc, and who don't have the protections to ensure that they become acclimatized to a new time zone upon arrival...in other words, quite possibly the only segment of the airline industry to which your study might actually apply.

I'm trying to get simple descriptive statistics to see what the pilots have to say about the current state of fatigue regulations and how jet lag plays its part.
The duty and rest regulations for airline operations were changed several years ago to recognize "jet lag" and circadian disruption by moving flying to or from a given time zone, and to allow crew members to acclimatize to the new time zone.

Fatigue is certainly a major concern for pilots in many segments of the industry, but for all airline pilots save supplemental carriers, it's largely a non-issue because the regulation already takes it into account. The only airline segment for which circadian rhythm is entirely ignored, and which was excluded from the regulation, is the supplemental carrier...the one group you don't want to hear from.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...17_main_02.tpl

The study is not limited to just pilots flying part 121.
The title of the thread specifically asks for airline pilots, and you've stated that you only want pilots flying scheduled routes. That's specific. Airline pilots flying scheduled operations.

Do you know what Part 121 is?