View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM
wetoolow
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Let't not say that it's the end of a career if one walked away while in the CFI stage. That's not a career. It's just getting started and doing something else.

There's no shame in finding your own path.

Your thread title is misleading, but it appears that you're attempting to say you want to talk about what happens between the end of a "flying career" and the end of one's life. Presumably something other than flying. That's not the way the title reads, however, and it nearly suggests that the end of a flying career is the end of life. It's not.

Flying is not for everyone. There's nothing wrong with doing something else. If flying is missed, do it privately, instead of a career. If it's not missed, don't do it at all. Neither is wrong. Do what works for you.
What if you feel like you left too soon? I understand I do not have the best training record; however I know I am more than capable of being a safe, competent, airline pilot. I never ever have had issues with the material learned (examiners, instructors are all impressed by my test scores and knowledge), it seems more so that I have been put in situations to take checkrides where i was not completely ready to take them. Unfortunately, I should have put my foot down, and listened internally, rather than allow my CFIs to pass me off for a checkride. I am not blaming my lack of preparation on my intstructors, however I am pointing out that I think if I had done my initial trianing at a different program/school, I would not have been put in a situation where I did not feel as prepared, and that is my fault. I miss aviaiton and flying, and feel like I left too early because I was discouraged by my imperfect training record. Besides this, I have a good background. 3.4 GPA, clean driving record, criminal record, etc. I hate explaining to people that I quit aviation, I feel like I have not only disappointed others, but I have disappointed myself for giving up something I have wanted to do for a while.

I constantly think about getting back into it and getting back on the saddle and instructing. Am I crazy to want to get back into it? I feel like I am leaving at a great time in the industry, as well.