View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:20 AM
andycfi
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2012

Originally Posted by wetoolow View Post
What if you feel like you left too soon? I understand I do not have the best training record; however I know I am more than capable of being a safe, competent, airline pilot. I never ever have had issues with the material learned (examiners, instructors are all impressed by my test scores and knowledge), it seems more so that I have been put in situations to take checkrides where i was not completely ready to take them. Unfortunately, I should have put my foot down, and listened internally, rather than allow my CFIs to pass me off for a checkride. I am not blaming my lack of preparation on my intstructors, however I am pointing out that I think if I had done my initial trianing at a different program/school, I would not have been put in a situation where I did not feel as prepared, and that is my fault. I miss aviaiton and flying, and feel like I left too early because I was discouraged by my imperfect training record. Besides this, I have a good background. 3.4 GPA, clean driving record, criminal record, etc. I hate explaining to people that I quit aviation, I feel like I have not only disappointed others, but I have disappointed myself for giving up something I have wanted to do for a while.

I constantly think about getting back into it and getting back on the saddle and instructing. Am I crazy to want to get back into it? I feel like I am leaving at a great time in the industry, as well.
Here's the deal: only you know what is best for you. You're not the only one to bust rides. Many have and will continue to. Don't let that be the reason you leave if that is the only one. If you go back, be prepared to speak to the setbacks the same way you did on here. I would even expound a little more on them as well. For instance, "I was recommended for a ride when I did not feel fully prepared. I learned from this experience because I should never make that kind of choice when I am PIC. If I am not fit to fly for any reason, I will exercise the decision to refrain. I am glad I was afforded the opportunity to learn this in a safe environment (checkride) vs. a bad weather situation or something else." ... Just an idea on how you can spin that in an interview for the positive.

I left for different reasons. I didn't feel beat down by my perceived self performance, I left because the industry simply could not offer me the lifestyle I desired. I hate being gone a lot, I don't really relish hotel rooms, and I absolutely won't move under any circumstances. Those reasons are very different than a dent in your self confidence. If you feel you made a mistake, you are still young enough to change it! Mistakes are only failures if you don't learn from them. Take some time and really think it through. You can still succeed if you like the job, the industry, the lifestyle, and everything that goes with it.