View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 01:00 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by wetoolow View Post
I hate explaining to people that I quit aviation, I feel like I have not only disappointed others, but I have disappointed myself for giving up something I have wanted to do for a while.
You don't owe anyone an explanation. No one else is entitled to your explanation.

If you're disappointed in yourself, then only you can address that issue, but project that onto the populace at large. You make the decision based on what's best for you, and you alone.

I constantly think about getting back into it and getting back on the saddle and instructing. Am I crazy to want to get back into it? I feel like I am leaving at a great time in the industry, as well.
You're not crazy. You're not crazy to leave, not to stay with it. It's a vocation. It's a job. For some a hobby. It's not life, though. It's just a job. Life goes on.

Yes, this is a time of the greatest opportunity I've ever seen in the industry, and I've been in it for a long time. Today's up and coming student has no idea just how good he or she has it.

Besides this, I have a good background. 3.4 GPA, clean driving record, criminal record, etc.
Quite irrelevant, but thanks for sharing.

I never ever have had issues with the material learned (examiners, instructors are all impressed by my test scores and knowledge), it seems more so that I have been put in situations to take checkrides where i was not completely ready to take them.
Flying is about judgement; often it's the judgement of whether to go fly or not. Aviation is all about go/no-go decisions. Think of your pass rate not as a verdict on whether you can manipulate the controls, but a referendum on your judgement. It all comes down to judgement, which may be whether to take a flight or not, or whether to take a checkride. Judgement.