Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 PM
SDAtheDO
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2018
Default Air Med Services, LLC

Air Med Services, LLC is based in Lafayette, LA
We currently have 4 King Air 200's
2 Lear 45's
There is also a Citation XLS and Bravo but these are contract aircraft and have steady crews assigned so its unlikely to get into either of these.
We work an 8 on 4 off schedule
All pilots are based in Lafayette, I do not see any changes to this anytime soon.
Captains start at $90,000 per year and some make more with overtime and/or vacation sell back.
Average yearly flight time is around 400 hours. Jet guys probably fly more.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield, you can add dental and vision, long term care is provided, short term can be purchased. $50,000 life insurance policy, you can purchase additional if you want.
The big draw aside from the extremly smart, strong and handsome D.O. (me), is the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), It takes a year at least to get into the 401K or Roth 401K, there are two sign up periods per year, once you are in a 401K you are automatically in the ESOP which contributes a garanteed 4% but has been higher(about 12%) each of the 12 years I have been here.
We are an ambulance company. The Parent company is Acadian Ambulance, however; we fly more charter and administrative, only 10-15 % is ambulance work.
The schedule varies and there can be late night trips, there will be periods away from home but nothing beyond the 8 day schedule is requires (you may be coerced but we always say days off are golden you don't have to work them).
There is flexibility in the schedule and pilots trading with other pilots is common.
The average Captain flys about 4 of the 8 days on, when not scheduled for a flight you are not required to be at the airport in most cases.
King air work is usually day trips but can be longer.
We do have an Education Loan Agreement to protect the pilots and company from less scrupulous pilots who are happy to move in get training and then move to what they believe is the next best thing.
You pretty much need to live near Lafayette to make the schedule work.
I've been here 12 years and wont leave until I retire and they get tired of me.
Jet pilot pay may not be up to par yet but we plan to address that this spring.
Acadian Ambulance, now called Acadian Companies is a diverse operation, we have a security monitoring company that has branched out to total security systems for homes and businesses as well as design and installation of outdoor entertainment systems.
We operate the National EMS training academy(NEMSA), Safety Management Systems which trains for many safety sensitive positions and provides onsite safety monitoring as well on sight EMS.
The ground ambulance operation, helicopter operations and of course our fixed wing operations. This diversification allows us to be stable even when flight operations drop off. In over twenty years no pilot has ever been laid off.
In short flying for us is not a perfect fit for everyone. I would not consider it a retirement job because at times we work hard. At other times you wonder if we forgot you work here.
Feel free to contact any of our pilots I'll PM you the contact info.
My opinion is it's the best flying job in the world.