View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 06:35 AM
kingsnake2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post
I would like to hear everyone’s opinion as to how a Part 141 flight school is better than a “mom and pop” Part 61 flight school. Aren’t Part 141 flight schools more expensive than Part 61 flight schools? Do Part 141 flight schools have "better" instruction than Part 61 flight schools? Can’t a student fly “everyday” at a Part 61 flight school and still get done in the same time? I know that Part 141 flight schools have stage checks, but Part 61 flight schools can do the same thing, right? Do Part 141 flight schools generally have better airplanes? Do Part 141 flight schools have access to twin engine aircraft whereas Part 61 flight schools may not? Can it be said that there is more “pressure” to get done quickly at a Part 141 flight school? Is a Part 61 flight school more likely to have a shortage of flight instructors than a Part 141 flight school?
As you mentioned, a Part 61 school is perhaps used synonymous with small "mom and pop" shops, but they don't have to be. ATP Flight School's locations are almost all part 61.

I think a more clear demarcation is "large academies" vs "small schools". Academies may have larger fleets, more instructors, etc. Small schools may have issues if they only have one ME or Complex for example. If it goes down, all their students using that aircraft may be stalled for some time.

As you alluded to, I also think there is likely to be consolidation in the flight training industry due to the shortages of flight instructors and mechanics. Large academy's may price out the small schools because they are able to more effectively utilize those resources - a CFI can easily fly 80+ hours a month at a large academy with lots of students and planes. Similarly, a mechanic always has something to do to stay productive at a school flying 100+ hours per day.