View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Bottom line up front: ERAU is very expensive for what you get. I would not recommend that school unless money is not really a concern for you. I know some good folks who came from there and most regret the debt they are in.

If you're quite wealthy, then it's a fine school. Although the location is not really great for typical college life IMO. I went on camping trip once, and stayed at two campgrounds very near prescott... it was a very nice outdoor area, but I didn't see many coeds.

Originally Posted by CessnaPilot177 View Post
- Does graduating from Embry Riddle have an inherent benefit in terms of seniority?
No. All airline CBAs (pilot union contracts) forbid granting seniority out of date of hire order. You could not be granted seniority ahead of someone who is already working there and then "cut in line" when you arrive. You will start at the bottom. Some pathways may give you priority in your new-hire class, which might guarantee 10-30 people below you on day one.

I've heard that some airlines base seniority off a number of different things including being in a "pathway" program.
You may be granted "longevity". Longevity is used to determine certain benefits like pay rate, vacation, bonuses, 401k, and possibly priority for nonrev travel. All employees have longevity.

Pilot seniority is most important. It determines aircraft and base assignment, when you upgrade (very significant pay raise), and your monthly schedule. Again nobody gets to "cut in line" for seniority.

- How often do people get hired while still going through school so that you just start when you graduate.
Right now regionals will generally hire folks who are within a few hundred hours of 1500 (or 1000) hours. Some pathway programs might give you a job offer while still inschool.

But the good news is you don't need any pathways... all regionals will hire almost anyone these days. I would pick a regional based on what works best for you, and then if you can get into a pathway program which offers some benefits, take it. But don't lock yourself into a less than ideal (for you) regional just because of a pathway program.

- Does having gone there help when getting towards the majors?
Today it seems to help for some majors. Also you will have an alumni network to possibly help you along.

Let me put it this way... Riddle grads tend to be highly regarded among themselves, but tend to be the butt of jokes in the broader pilot community. There are some stereotypes, which are of course not true of most people.

Last edited by rickair7777; 12-03-2018 at 02:04 PM.