View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by WhisperJet View Post
Be careful.

Keep in mind one thing - the body needs balance to function properly. Oftentimes, people will supplement one mineral and upset that balance. For example, guy I knew was all about taking mega doses of magnesium. Well he threw off his electrolyte balance and developed an irregular heartbeat. There are also other ingredients you need to be aware of contained in supplements. There is a popular supplement out there that recently was found to contain high levels or arsenic and lead. I think labdoor had a report on that back in 2016. There is little/no FDA regulation and oversight of supplements.

If you feel you must take something, probably stick with a high quality multi vitamin and some whey protein isolate. Eat a balanced diet, and lots of water. Exercise, sleep, yaddi yaddi. Shop the outside aisles of the grocery store. If you must supplement further probably best to consult a licensed nutritionist or functional medicine practitioner rather than rely on the "bro science" the pilot forum will offer.

Best of luck to you and be careful!
Yes.

First figure out what you think you need.

Then identify the best sources, which will take some research. As mentioned, many supplements (unregulated) are made overseas, don't contain what they are supposed to (or not enough), and may contain some really bad things which they aren't supposed to.

There are a few brands which are pretty meticulous about their quality, those are the ones you want to find. Be aware that a given label may sell a quality product in one category but might outsource another product with underwhelming results.

Organic whey protein with no extra chemicals other than some carbs is pretty safe and keeps my energy up for strength training even after an hour of cardio (need the cardio for health as you get older).

Low dose chelated zinc works for T boost, and helps prevent colds, but does supposedly increase risk of prostate cancer.