View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 04:29 AM
ockham
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Default After the 121 Gig

If you live near TEB, there are a bunch of operators always looking for folks. Went from 121 to 91/135 after retiring, have had to change gigs a few times do to the changing landscape that exist in this side of aviation. Owners can fall on hard times then the plane is the first thing to go.

Patience is the number one virtue, get to know some of the pilots around Meridian. Lots of job rumors never leave the airport. I have brought several folks into organizations after the 121 thing, sometimes it can be a struggle. You are not the Capitan El Grande anymore, just one of the guys trying to get the Boss from A to B with the least amount of stress. I am always surprised how much attention needs to be placed on flying and taxing the airplane smoothly with my friends from this background. You are now a limo driver and smoothness counts with most owners.

There are all kinds of types in this part of the game, just like your old job. There are some very skilled professionals that really know what they are doing, never presume superior knowledge. Always listen first, then see where you fit in for the best solution.

In the 135 part of the game plan on being a Co-Captain or Copilot for at least 300 hours on a new type aircraft. Almost all Operators are in programs like Argus and that is one of the base line requirements.