View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:06 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is that really the reason for that policy? Seems strange since K4 doesn’t have them either and we allow international jumpseating.

Is it still fallout from Auburn Calloway?
Not sure, could be but who knows?
Supposedly fdx and ups were the driving force for cass after 9/11. If you remember, initially tsa wanted to eliminate jumpseating altogether and make it more like Europe where the jumpseat is used for checkrides, faa events, etc..

However, airlines knew a large percentage of their pilots commuted so they all came up with a compromise and got cass approved. ..for domestic flights only.
Then they allowed international jumpseats again IF you worked for that airline.

For offline jumpseating passenger airlines use non-rev policies. So when I ‘jumpseat’ on United or Delta to Europe or Asia (I’m offline) I actually ‘non-rev’ in the back since I can’t ride in the cockpit. Prior to 9/11 I could.

Since then there have been many changes to cass and to international j/s rules. For whatever reason though non-skeds are still the only ones I know of that are allowed to take jumpseaters on international legs? Don’t think you’ll ever see that at fdx or ups. Not sure what the real reason is..