View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM
nitefr8dog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
I don't give two ****s what the delta captain is doing. It's his life, let him do as he wishes.

If someone entered the business to make as much money as they can and fly as little as they can, bully for them.

Not all of us entered flying to do that. Personally I began flying because I wanted to fly as much as possible.

As for a life outside of the job, there's plenty. This year I've had nearly three months off with no duties at all, thanks to the job. That's three months non-stop, nothing to do but go shoot steel competitions, tinker, spend time at a resort with the wife, travel to see kids, even do other work.

I've got Christmas off, and Thanksgiving off. Each of the kids birthdays off. The wife's birthda. off. Our anniversary off. I spent five days in Brazil where my hardest choice was where to eat next. Same in Chile. Two weeks in Europe, and so on.

Five hundred grand is nice, and everyone who does ACMI understands that it doesn't pay what the delta captain is getting. Big, ****ing deal. Seriously.

Not everybody grows up with the privilege, not everyone wants it, and no, money is not everything. Not by a long shot.

Those who are so arrogant as to peer down their noses at everyone else must really believe that the world envies them. What a hollow existence.
Everyone has a different view of whats important and why they got into avaition in the first place.

Being senior and having 4 weeks of vacation a year and is great ...easy to get 5 weeks in a row off 4 times a year. Means nothing to the junior guys who are gone 17 days in a row and starving and buy their vacation back and work it to make ends meet.

The reality is...most people are in this line of work for...wait for it....MONEY. That is why they leave their regional job with super seniority and great schedules or their 135 gig that gets them home every night...MONEY..paying the bills is much more important than 30 days off in a row. Seeing your kids eat and having the electric on becomes paramount.

I decided along time ago as 90 percent of new hires are doing today I want to make as much money as possible for every minute that I was away from home. Screw the I just love to fly crap! I love to fly my 172 to a fly in breakfast on my days off and buy 5$ pancakes and tell hanger lies a whole lot more....400k a year gets me out of here alot quicker. YMMV and I really don't care..as you said at the beginning..I really don't give a $#!t! JMO

Last edited by nitefr8dog; 12-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.