Thread: DAL Class drops
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 AM
SideSticker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Cheesh, you guys almost sound as though you believe that there is some logic and advanced planning here. Almost as if Crew resources (CR) were proactive vice reactive.

Wrong - CR has what would normally be a very, very hard to do job, but is now basically an impossible job due to the schizophrenic nature of marketing. IOW all these last minute route/ship/model changes are impossible to keep up with in the best of times. Add to that numerous fleets, huge retirements etc and you can see why what someone in management says today totally earnestly may be 100% incorrect tomorrow.

OBTW - For years I was very critical of this but as long as we are the most profitable passenger airline in the world I must assume that there is some method to the seeming madness.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Scoop
I too have been amazed the way marketing calls the shots and everyone else scrambles to make it work. The Dec 5th CR memo suggests they are trying to do a better job of looking at the training and stafing implications of marketing's decisions. Apparently there's money to be saved by planning ahead and coordinating efforts.

I especially liked the bit about building rotations with enough cushion to absorb minor disruptions. This comes how many months after the memo telling us the rotations were becoming more efficient to save money?