View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM
JPilot77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

I'll admit I also went to riddle like many other people on here. Its a place to make some decent friends and move on. I unfortunately got an aviation degree and injured my eye, had a hole in my retina and it took me close to 8 months to heal and get back on my feet flying again. I am fortunate to have healed up and looking back, yeah I should have gotten a degree in something to fall back on in case the unfortnate happens.

I went straight from 0 currency over those 8 months to flying a lear (not bragging about the plane, I'm still hanging on to the tail sometimes), at a questionable company whose training philosophy is "put them in the plane and let them figure it out on their own." I don't feel entitled to a job at an airline or a job where I look good in a uniform, the experience I've gained is invaluable and will make a better pilot. The things i've seen in the short amount of time flying this thing would make the riddle and pilot-factory instructors cry and be calling the chief pilot and faa.

Many of the pilots that come out of there have an entitlement and holier than thou attitude because of the name behind them, that doesnt make them a pilot, real-world experience out side of the watchful eye of big-brother makes them a better pilot. Thats where I feel going from a 172 and light twin to an rj gives them a lack in experience. They learn to be an autopilot and flight-director chaser.

I did hear a rumor from some of my friends at Spirit that girl from riddle was hired with close to 200 hours, and not hired through a bridge program, it was through some personal contacts in upper management but like I said its a rumor.

I understand the stereotype of these pilots but people do need to cut alot of riddle grads slack, we do go other places besides the regionals for our initial flying experiences, we do have ambitions and goals of self improvement, not just a right seat rj job and an attitude like the world should bow down to us.

Maybe some of the people getting on at Spirit out of ERAU are pretty nice, but good luck to them with the training, they'll be in for a ride, and I'm sure the performance expectations are very high there also.

Last edited by JPilot77; 12-03-2007 at 11:29 AM.