Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 07:22 AM
ZippyNH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by rftorp View Post
Where are the 1900s based?
The Metro's and the 1900's are sprinkled widely, and a few are at.most bases, unlike the 120''s which are more specialized.

While not aimed specifically at you, I would like to add to this thread....
A quick search of the company website and the job listings will give you most every answer you seek... remember, a pilot needs to know where to find the answers to a question in their daily work, and doing a half hour of research, looking at this thread a bit, and the companies websites, to do basic research in any companies you have interest in might be a good first step....let's face it, company culture and lifestyle is a huge factor in deciding if any company is the right "fit" for both the job seeker and the employer.
When a person speaks to an informed possible future hire, it makes a much better first impression for any job seeker in any situation... people only get one chance to make a first impression.
Yes, the copilot positions in planes NOT NEEDING a copilot has a contract, simply put it person flying in that position is an added expense, and the company must ensure they stay around once a qualified captain for a bit to even break even on the $$.
Reality is, seeing ice, thunderstorms, snowstorms, deicing, etc with an experienced captain the first time is a huge help...I did it back in the day Solo....was pretty stressful...a bit of time in the right seat to get "seasoned" a bit before switching seats knowing you will stay a couple years isn't a bad deal IMHO.
Everybody's goals and expectations are different, but I have always said, be ready to stay at any job a bit...you never know when things suddenly change like it did on September 11th, or when the retirement age changed (the majors almost stopped hiring for several years).... unexpected events that left many people stuck at jobs several years longer than they had planned.
Honestly look at lifestyle, family time, and the way a company treats it's employees are all important....no place is perfect, but size of a company plays a huge role...in a huge operation, you are simply a number in a union, Cannon fodder...in smaller companies, the job still needs to get done, buy you as an individual are more likely to make an impact with your knowledge and inputs....a huge factor in job satisfaction.
Having friends who live and die, having memorized their union contract to a large part, and usually only get weekdays off (Tues, Wednesday and maybe Thursday) with half if the first and last day spent commuting, eating prepackaged meals out if a cooler bad or food court, I can say cargo has been good to me.
But it's different for everyone...
Look what's really important to you...
Some get "shinny jet syndrome", and some just like to fly, get a pay check, and enjoy their life.